Thousand without power, stretch of I-80 closed as powerful winds hit Utah (Photo: KUTV)

(KUTV) — Strong winds caused chaos in Utah Thursday night as as howling winds raged into the state.

Wind caused damage to trees, planes were diverted and thousands lost power as winds were recorded up to 82 miles per hour.

Thousands of residents lost power in Salt Lake City, Millcreek, South Salt Lake, Lehi, Midvale, Bluffdale, Riverton, Riverdale, Roy, Hyde Park and Smithfield. By 10:30 p.m. most customers had power restored. More than 3,000 customers in Bluffdale and Riverton were still without power.

More than a dozen flights scheduled to land at Salt Lake International Airport were diverted to other cites, according to Nancy Volmer with the Salt Lake City Airport. She said they went instead to Colorado, Nevada and Idaho. She advised travelers to check for flight times and arrivals.

Interstate 80 was closed to trucks between Tooele and Wendover after three semi trucks blew over, according to Sgt. Todd Royce of the Utah Highway Patrol. He said no injuries were reported, but heavy winds left high profile trucks on their sides and couldn’t be lifted util winds slowed down.

Here are some views of wind damage around the state.

None of the downed trucks blocked traffic.

The power outages coincide with high winds blowing through Utah, ahead of a cold front. Winds reached over 50 miles per hour in the Salt Lake Valley, with a gust hitting 69 miles per hour in West Jordan and wind speeds hit 52 mph at the Salt Lake Airport.

In Eagle Mountain City, power lines were down, closing the Pony Express Parkway at Porter’s Crossing.

A home in Magna was damaged when a tree fell across it.

Rocky Mountain Power said 2,447 customers lost power in Salt Lake City. It was estimated service there would be returned by 1 a.m.

Hyde Park and Smithfield had an estimated 3,062 customers without power.

In Midvale, 703 customers were without power with an estimated restoration for 11 p.m. Rocky Mountain said just after 6:30 p.m. that crews were on site and repairs were underway.

According to the National Weather Service, winds reached 82 mph at the Great Salt Lake Marina.

Source Article